Australian man treats deadly snake bite with a cold beer

"If you panic it makes it worse," Rodney Somerville said.
By Evan Bleier Follow @itishowitis Contact the Author   |   March 10, 2014 at 12:49 PM

YEPPOON, Australia, March 10 (UPI) -- An Australian man didn’t get hot under the collar after he was bitten by an eastern brown snake -- he just grabbed a cold one.

Rodney Somerville was gardening outside his home in Yeppoon when he was bitten on the finger by the deadly snake. He then grabbed his shovel and whacked the snake in the head with it.

Figuring that he might "cark it," the 54-year-old decided to have at least one last beer.

"I said to myself, if I'm going to cark it I'm going to have a beer, so I got a Goldie out of the fridge and drank that; 'cause you know eastern browns are the second most venomous snake in the world," Somerville told the Rockhampton Morning Bulletin. "If you panic it makes it worse."

He called an ambulance as well and eventually received the anti-venom. Unfortunately, he had an allergic reaction to the medicine and is still in the hospital after three weeks.

"The reaction nearly killed me as well, so it was a double whammy," Somerville said.

[Rockhampton Morning Bulletin]

Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Trending Stories
Eli Manning explains pout face after Broncos' Super Bowl score
Watch Katie Holmes dance like Beyonce on 'The Tonight Show'
Warner Music to pay back licensing fees for 'Happy Birthday' copyright
Daring duo arrested for sex on Las Vegas' 550-foot Ferris wheel
Car spins out of control, lands on roof of California home