BUFFALO, N.Y., March 6 (UPI) -- It was 50 years ago today, when a Buffalo woman taught our taste buds to play…
According to legend, Dominic Bellissimo was tending bar at the Anchor Bar in Buffalo, N.Y., on a Friday night in 1964 when a group of his friends showed up. Since they were hungry, he asked his mother, Teressa, to whip something up.
Teressa made a plate of deep-fried chicken wings, flavored them with hot sauce and the rest is history.
The Anchor Bar will be celebrating the fiery red and orange wings' golden anniversary on Thursday afternoon with a private party.
In recognition of the special day, here are some statistics from the National Chicken Council about just how much Teressa’s creation has taken off in the past 50 years.
- An estimated 27 billion wings will be sold in the U.S. in 2014
- 1.25 billion of those were eaten during Super Bowl weekend
- 51 percent of Americans like ranch with their wings. 32 percent prefer blue cheese.
- 65 percent of Americans say Buffalo-style wings are among their favorites, followed by
49 percent for barbecue, 35 percent for breaded, and 33 percent for teriyaki.
- Americans get 75 percent of their wings from restaurants and food service outlets, and 25 percent from supermarkets.
[The Anchor Bar]