Student's tongue freezes to metal pole at Massachusetts school

Feb. 14, 2014 at 1:11 PM

EASTHAMPTON, Mass., Feb. 14 (UPI) -- In a real-life scene evoking "A Christmas Story," firefighters in Massachusetts say they freed a child whose tongue was stuck to a metal pole on school grounds.

Easthampton Fire Chief David Mottor said firefighters were called Wednesday morning to White Brook Middle School to help a student whose tongue had become frozen to the pole, the Springfield (Mass.) Republican reported Friday.

"They just put warm water on the student's tongue and did a quick evaluation to make sure there [weren't] any injuries," Mottor said.

Mottor said the student was found to be uninjured and was released to his or her parents. Mottor said he did not have information on the student's age or gender.

There was no word on whether the student had been "triple-dog-dared" as was the case in the classic holiday movie "A Christmas Story," in which a boy was goaded into putting his tongue on a flag pole and had to be rescued by firefighters.

Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines