Cherokee County School Superintendent Dr. Quincie Moore said the student has been disciplined for putting the small amount of bleach into a seven-gallon cooler full of Gatorade that was being used by students and staff from both schools.
"As sad and unfortunate as this situation is we are happy that it wasn't any worse," said Dr. Moore. "We will make sure we have oversight now, make sure we have procedures in place and that adults are supervising to ensure this doesn't happen again.”
No charges have been filed in the case.
"I think the things that we put in place will be handled from behind the scene because it will involve the preparation prior to the game," Moore said.
The school district is willing to cover the cost of doctor's visits for students who used the tainted cooler.
A father of a boy on the Granard Middle School team, Cleveland Smith, said his son realized something was wrong with the Gatorade during the game.
"He said once he came out of the game and started putting it to his lips said his mouth started burning but no one knew anything then," Smith said.
The boy drank four cups of the Gatorade and his stomach was sore the next day. "He told me somebody text him and told him they put bleach in the Gatorade," Smith said.
UPI Almanac for Monday, Oct. 20, 2014
Tennessee woman jailed for neglecting lawn