facebook
twitter
search
search

Cow farts blamed for barn fire in Germany

Jan. 28, 2014 at 12:23 PM

RASDORF, Germany, Jan. 28 (UPI) -- Emergency responders in Germany said a barn fire was caused by flatulent cows releasing methane gas around a massaging machine.

Police and firefighters said Monday they were called to a barn in Rasdorf, Hesse, to put out flames sparked when methane from the unusually flatulent cows reacted with static energy from a massaging machine designed to increase milk production, TheLocal.de reported Tuesday.

One cow was treated for burns and the roof of the barn suffered damage from the flames, police said.

Like Us on Facebook for more stories from UPI.com  
Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Top Stories
Hammerhead shark bumps boat motor off Florida coast
Tourist's Brooklyn Bridge climb selfie sparks security questions
Vlogger shoots iPhones to determine bullet-stopping capabilities
74.8-inch Illinois cow posthumously named tallest ever by Guinness
British festival launches egg 21.7 miles toward space