facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

Alive New York man sues after being declared dead by hospital

Sept. 8, 2013 at 10:31 AM   |   Comments

NEW YORK, Sept. 8 (UPI) -- A very much alive New York man said his Medicaid benefits were cut off, and credit cards and bank accounts were canceled after a hospital declared him dead.

The Bronx-Lebanon Hospital in March 2009 put Juan Antonio Arias' full name, social security number and date of birth on a death certificate, but the 57-year-old father of two said he is most certainly not dead.

He said he was unaware of the hospital's mistake until 2010 when his Medicaid benefits were cut off and his credit cards and bank accounts were shut down. The taxes he paid that year were also sent back, the New York Post reported Saturday.

Arias has sued three times to have himself declared legally living again, though the first two suits were dismissed due to attorney errors, the Post said.

He sued for a third time last month and his lawyer said he only had to show proof of his identity to win.

© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Recommended UPI Stories
Featured UPI Collection
trending
2014: The Year in Music [PHOTOS]

2014: The Year in Music [PHOTOS]

Most Popular
1
Albino crocodile named for Michael Jackson shot dead after eating fisherman
2
Thai woman posts more than 12,000 selfies
3
Man fakes suicide to get out of engagement to long-distance fiance
4
Atlantic City casino loses $21,000 cash left on roof of armored truck
5
Woman finds 3-foot-long boa constrictor in used car trunk
Trending News
Video
x
Feedback