facebook
twitter
search
search

Lime juice blamed for burns on young girls

Sept. 6, 2013 at 5:11 PM

LEMOORE, Calif., Sept. 6 (UPI) -- The mothers of five California girls said their daughters were injured by a chemical reaction resulting from lime juice and the sun's rays.

Melinda McDaniel, Denise Kinser and Stephanie Ellwanger said their daughters decided to operate a lime and lemonade stand to cool off on a recent hot day in Lemoore, and it was more than a day before the severe burns started showing up on their skin, KFSN-TV, Fresno, Calif., reported Friday.

"It was my youngest one that woke up screaming and crying, she just couldn't handle the pain," Kinser said. "And there were big blisters that were growing quickly on her, all over her body."

All five girls were soon covered with severe burns and their moms told doctors about the girls' exposure to lime juice.

Doctors determined the condition was phytophotodermatitis, which results from a chemical reaction in the lime juice caused by the sun's rays.

"We want the word out," Kinser said. "We want other parents to know so they don't go through what we've been through."

The girls are recovering from their injuries and have returned to school, but their moms said they have to limit their exposure to sunlight.

Like Us on Facebook for more stories from UPI.com  
Latest Headlines
Top Stories
Hammerhead shark bumps boat motor off Florida coast
Tourist's Brooklyn Bridge climb selfie sparks security questions
Vlogger shoots iPhones to determine bullet-stopping capabilities
74.8-inch Illinois cow posthumously named tallest ever by Guinness
British festival launches egg 21.7 miles toward space