Investigators said the 41-year-old man had recently moved to Diepholz from Berlin and attempted to use a can of tire sealant to repair the air mattress, which had a built-in motor for self-inflating, Bild newspaper reported.
The man, who was thrown into the air by the mattress explosion, suffered lacerations to his arm.
The explosion caused an estimated $200,000 worth of damage to the building.
Costly malfunction causes beer flood at Boston-area brewery
Video of Victoria’s Secret models trying to 'twerk' hits Instagram