McArthur, Ohio, homeowner Katie Barnett returned from an out-of-town trip in June to find her key didn't work and all her possessions had been removed from her house. Barnett said two dressers and clothing for her five children were taken, along with patio furniture, two car engines and parts, ABC News reported.
Barnett requested $18,000 in compensation for the items from the First National Bank of Wellston.
Bank President and Chief Executive Officer Tony Thorne issued a statement Thursday taking responsibility for the incident, but challenging the particulars of Barnett's claim, The Columbus (Ohio) Dispatch reported.
"Nothing like this has ever happened before," Thorne said. "The situation was a mistake on the part of our bank."
However, Thorne said, the list of missing items Barnett gave the bank "is inconsistent with the list and descriptions of items removed that was prepared by the employees who did the work."
He said he informed Barnett the bank will compensate her after it clears up the discrepancies.
Barnett -- who says she has an attorney and plans to sue the bank -- told WBNS-TV, Columbus: "I'm not running a yard sale here. I did not tell them to come in my house and make me an offer. They took my stuff, and I want it back."
Easer Egg Roll brings thousands to White House
Lytro unveils camera that can focus a photo after shooting it