Vicky Raitt, 23, an Aberdeen zoology student, told the Scottish Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals she was in bed Friday night when she discovered the 3-inch-long scorpion crawling just inches from her head.
Raitt was able to capture the scorpion in a plastic tub and contact the SPCA.
The student said the scorpion may have hitched a ride in her suitcase during a recent trip to Borneo.
"My suitcase was damaged on the way home from Borneo so I think it crawled inside through the hole. I'd been back for five days before I found the scorpion so it must have been living with me all that time," she told the SPCA. "Once I got over the initial shock of finding it I was OK, but it's still quite scary to think what could have happened if I hadn't woke up and it had stung me."
The Scottish SPCA said the scorpion was taken to the Animal Rescue and Rehoming Center in Drumoak and will soon be transferred to Nick Martin's exotic animal rescue charity in Inverness.
The SPCA said Asian forest scorpions aren't deadly, but their stings can cause discomfort to humans.
Moore to attend retreat in to avoid Kutcher's wedding
'How to Train Your Dragon 2' releases 5-minute clip