UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

Teen thinks Twitter helped UCLA admission

|
 
Published: May 8, 2013 at 3:55 PM

LOS ANGELES, May 8 (UPI) -- A Massachusetts teen said he thinks his Twitter campaign helped him get accepted to the University of California, Los Angeles, but school officials disagreed.

Bernie Zak, 18, of Brookline said UCLA told him in April he had been placed on a wait list and would hear a final decision by June 1, so he started his "#ACCEPTBERNIEUCLA" on the advice of his sister, Elena Zak, a social media producer at the Wall Street Journal, the Boston Globe reported Wednesday.

Zak said he updated Twitter each day with a different reason he believed the school should accept him, including his abilities as a baseball pitcher and the fact that he was "Born and raised #BostonStrong," which he posted the day after the Boston Marathon bombings.

Zak said he received notice of his acceptance April 29. He said he believes his Twitter campaign, which was reported on by UCLA student newspaper the Daily Bruin, helped influence his admission.

UCLA spokesman Ricardo Vazquez said officials were aware of the campaign, but they were unlikely to have been influenced by it.

"A Twitter campaign by any student would have absolutely no influence on our admittance decision," he said.

Topics: Boston Marathon bombing
Recommended Stories
© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Next Story: $1,100 returned to bus passenger
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
Immigration rally in Washington, D.C. MTV Movie Awards Cherry Blossoms in Washington, D.C.
Miss NY USA crowns ASPCA King and Queen Academy of American Country Music Awards 2013: Celebrity break ups and divorces
Additional Odd News Stories
Your Daily Horoscope
The almanac
1 of 19
Arias Is Found Guilty of Murder in Arizona
View Caption
Jodi Arias (R) reacts as she hears the verdict of guilty of first degree murder after a four month trial in Phoenix, Arizona, May 8, 2013. Arias was convicted of murdering her lover Travis Alexander in Tempe, Arizona in June of 2008. UPI// Rob Schumacher/Arizona Republic/Pool
fark
News: 16 year old girl is a swimming champ who has been shattering world records. FARK: She was...
Mother of the year candidate turns to WebMD instead of taking her son to the hospital after he gets...
Theme of Farktography Contest No. 418: "Happy Farktography Anniversary 8". Details and rules in...
Usually it's a dream come true when you have 2 sisters knocking down your door. But seeing as how...
Man dies after shooting down power lines for their copper. At a certain point isn't it just easier...
Thief steals $500 from 3-year-old after spotting 3-year-old with $500