facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

Woman accidentally swallows diamond at charity event

April 28, 2013 at 3:21 PM   |   Comments

TAMPA, Fla., April 28 (UPI) -- An 80-year-old woman says she accidentally swallowed a diamond at a charity event in Tampa, Fla.

Miriam Tucker attended the 65th annual Fashionollia fashion show fundraiser April 20 when she accidentally swallowed the precious stone, the Tampa Bay Times reported.

As part of the event, the 280 attendees had a chance to win a 1.03-carat diamond, which was placed at the bottom of one glass of champagne -- all the other glasses had cubic zirconias.

"I thought I'd drink a bit of champagne so I didn't have to stick my finger so far into the glass," said Tucker, a retired real estate broker. "We were laughing and talking when I realized I swallowed it. What a dumb thing."

It was not until the event was over that Tucker told organizers what happened.

"She said she swallowed what was in her glass," said jewelers Joy Pierson, "but as luck would have it, she was scheduled for a colonoscopy in two days."

During the colonoscopy, a doctor retrieved the stone, which was then brought to the jeweler, who confirmed it was in fact a real diamond.

As her son says, "All's well that ends well," Tucker said.

© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Recommended UPI Stories
Featured UPI Collection
trending
2014: The Year in Music [PHOTOS]

2014: The Year in Music [PHOTOS]

Most Popular
1
Gamers 'prank' each other by calling in real life SWAT team, webcam captures fallout
2
Welsh man sets house on fire while trying to kill spider
3
Georgia fourth grader suspended after bringing Nerf gun to school
4
Dreamworks Dad is back with video game-inspired 'Action Movie Kid - Volume 2'
Trending News
Video
x
Feedback