Natalie Malik, 38, of Levittown, N.Y., said she bought potpourri Saturday at the Home Goods store in Riverhead. She said the next day she heard a rustling noise and entered the room to find the potpourri scattered with a freshly shed 8 1/2-inch snake skin in the bowl, the New York Post reported Wednesday.
Malik said family members were unable to track down the snake and an exterminator was unable to identify the type of snake from the skin.
"It's disgusting. There is absolutely a snake loose in my house," Malik said. "It was in the potpourri. I am freaked out. I'm scared. I'm not sleeping at night. I'm afraid my dogs are in danger."
Malik said she was told the potpourri, which was manufactured by a company called Sono Inc., may contain items from India.
"There are poisonous snakes in India," she said.
Home Goods spokeswoman Doreen Thompson told the Post the incident is unusual.
"Our vendor has assured us that the manufacturing process for this product makes it highly unlikely for this to occur," she said. "That said, we have communicated with this customer directly to help resolve what seems to be a very unusual situation."
Rosie O'Donnell unveils nearly 50-pound weight loss
Members of Congress to keep receiving porn magazine