LYNN, Mass., March 26 (UPI) -- A Massachusetts woman said her only thought when her apartment building caught fire was the safety of her blue-and-gold macaw.
Kim Valenti, 55, said her Lynn apartment filled with thick black smoke Sunday night, so she grabbed her bird, Luca, wrapped the bird in a blanket and placed it in a laundry basket that she handed to her adult son, who carried the basket down the fire escape, the Boston Herald reported Tuesday.
"I sacrificed (time)," Valenti said. "I put her in my arms, wrapped a blanket around her and got her out."
Valenti said she was heartbroken to learn she wouldn't be able to take 11-year-old Luca to the shelter with her.
"We've been together for 9 years," she said at the North Shore Animal Hospital, where Luca is staying. "And this is the first time we're gonna be apart."
Valenti, who said she feels like a "nervous mother" being away from the bird, said Luca has the mental capacity of a toddler and the appetite of a full-grown human.
"She drinks her coffee every morning but she doesn't like it black, she likes cream and sugar," Valenti said.