facebook
twitter
search
search

Woman discovers scorpion in groceries

March 17, 2013 at 11:47 AM

DUMFRIES, Scotland, March 17 (UPI) -- A Scottish woman said she was unpacking groceries when she discovered a live scorpion had made its way into her bag.

Amanda Johnstone, of Dumfries said the scorpion was about 3 inches long, The Sun reported Sunday.

The scorpion got knocked to the floor and started making its way toward Johnstone's 6-year-old son Ross and her elderly mother Gloria, who leaped out of its way.

"Ross started shouting, 'Scorpion, scorpion!' I saw it and I was like, 'Oh my god, this is a bloody scorpion'. Mum's just had her knees replaced. I've never seen her move so fast -- the op definitely worked. I was absolutely terrified. I thought they were all poisonous," Johnstone said.

In the end, Johnstone's nephew Aaron, 29, captured the creature in a pint glass and an animal rescue officer came and picked it up.

The creature was later identified as a North American desert hairy scorpion, which is non-lethal.

"Desert hairy scorpions aren't deadly but if bitten the pain can vary from that of a bee-sting to intense inflammation and sickness," said animal rescue officer Tricia Smith.

Like Us on Facebook for more stories from UPI.com  
Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Top Stories
Man helps shark return to ocean at North Carolina beach
Police: Florida motorist accidentally jumped drawbridge
Watermelon cutting attempt sends sword through glass table
German man launches lawn darts to show dangers
Swedish synchronized swimmers attempt routine drunk