INDIANAPOLIS, March 1 (UPI) -- An Indiana judge blocked a lottery payout of $9.5 million, at the center of a dispute among eight hair salon workers who say they have claim to the prize.
The request came from seven co-workers at Lou's Creative Styles in Lawrence, Ind., who contend they should share in prize winnings from a ticket bought by another co-worker, Christiana Shaw, The Indianapolis Star reported Friday.
Marion County, Ind., Superior Judge Heather Welch issued a temporary order prohibiting the payout by the Indiana Lottery Commission last week, and Friday extended it indefinitely.
Shaw told her colleagues the winning ticket she purchased was hers alone, paid for with her own money and not money pooled by the group for ticket-buying. Shaw's attorney, Kent Smith, repeated the claim at a hearing Wednesday, acknowledging his client bought the winning ticket at the same time she bought tickets for the group.
At the hearing, the seven co-workers, and three former employees who participated in the salon's lottery pool, testified each was aware of a "rule" in their system prohibiting the purchaser of the group's tickets to buy personal tickets at the same time.
Ketchup leaves 'bloody' accident on road
RENO, Nev., March 1 (UPI) -- Only the hamburgers and hot dogs were missing when thousands of bottles of ketchup were flung onto a Nevada highway following a truck crash, officials said.
No one was injured, but it sure looked that way on the asphalt, the Reno Gazette-Journal reported Thursday.
"I have red everywhere on the highway," Highway Patrol Sgt. Janay Sherven said. "No bodies, no people, just ketchup."
"The scene looks pretty bad as far as color goes," Sherven said.
The trooper said the driver of the tractor-trailer appeared to have overcorrected to avoid hitting another vehicle while traveling eastbound on Interstate 80.
The truck hit the median, knocking over a light pole that ripped open the side of the truck, allowing its contents to spill onto the road.
Caterpillars on menu close French diner
PARIS, March 1 (UPI) -- A restaurant in France has been closed after health inspectors said they found a boiling pot of caterpillars in the kitchen.
The discovery was made during a routine check of the diner's hygiene and the origin of its food items, The Local.fr reported Thursday.
The restaurant outside Paris, described as of "African origin," was licensed to sell only drinks and take-home meals.
European consumers have been unnerved recently by concerns about horsemeat in their meals, so the unexpected menu item caused authorities to quickly close the eatery.
Some 300 pounds of meat were discarded after the owner of the diner could not produce certificates showing the origin of the meat. The proprietor also was arrested for employing a foreigner without a work permit.
Caterpillars are a common source of protein in Africa. One method of preparation calls for thoroughly washing the dried bugs, steaming them in salted water for 10 minutes and then frying them in oil until crisp.
Serve with tomato relish.
Whiskey ends up in sewer
DUMBARTON, Scotland, March 1 (UPI) -- Sewage workers in Scotland say they got a whiff of high-end whiskey after thousands of gallons of the amber liquid accidentally went down a drain.
The Chivas Brothers distillery in Dumbarton dumped the beverage in a mix-up at the plant, the Glasgow (Scotland) Evening News reported Friday.
Sewage workers contacted the water utility after they detected an aroma they weren't accustomed to smelling at the plant.
The distillery called the incident an "accidental loss."
Celebrity Couples of 2014 [PHOTOS]