facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

Dog lights stove top fire

Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:50 PM   |   Comments

SOUTH ELGIN, Ill., Jan. 30 (UPI) -- Firefighters in Illinois said a dog turned on an oven burner and caused $100,000 worth of damage to a home.

South Elgin Fire Department Lt. Todd Erickson said they extinguished the flames Monday and discovered the fire originated from a stove burner that had been turned on, WBBM-TV, Chicago, reported Wednesday.

Firefighters spoke to the owner and discovered one of his dogs "was notorious for jumping up on the stove and turning on the burners," Erickson said.

He said a pizza box on top of the stove then caught fire.

"The dog had jumped up, turned on the stove, lit the box and proceeded to start the cabinets on fire," Erickson said.

Firefighters said the dog and other pets inside the house at the time of the incident were not injured.

© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Most Popular
1
Police: Woman said Jesus would pay her bill Police: Woman said Jesus would pay her bill
2
'Ghost' caught on camera at medical center 'Ghost' caught on camera at medical center
3
Police help burglary caller with math homework Police help burglary caller with math homework
4
'Zombie-proof' cabin being sold online 'Zombie-proof' cabin being sold online
5
Watch: Robber bugs clerk, gets sprayed with Raid Watch: Robber bugs clerk, gets sprayed with Raid
Trending News
Around the Web
x
Feedback