facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

Dental drill falls into patient's lung

Dec. 28, 2012 at 12:30 PM   |   Comments

//cdnph.upi.com/sv/em/upi/UPI-47501356715858/2012/1/93f5230516f1d17060fc4e009a7df4c2/Dental-drill-falls-into-patients-lung.jpg
VASTERAS, Sweden, Dec. 28 (UPI) -- A Swedish hospital said new precautions are being taken after a dentist's drill unattached during a procedure and ended up in a patient's lung.

Officials at the Vastmanland Central Hospital in Vasteras said the drill became loose and fell into the mouth of a 60-year-old woman, who was undergoing dental implant surgery last September, The Local.se reported Friday.

"She tried to spit it out, and was made to cough, but she'd already swallowed," said Per Weitz, the hospital's medical chief.

Weitz said an X-ray revealed the drill was lodged in the woman's right lung and a bronchoscopy was performed to remove the object.

"A pinky-sized tube was sent into her lung with a small camera and pliers to grab hold of the drill," Weitz said.

Doctors said the woman made a full recovery about a month after the incident.

The incident was reported to the National Board of Health and Welfare and Weitz said new precautions are being adopted to prevent further occurrences.

© 2012 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Recommended UPI Stories
Featured UPI Collection
trending
Notable deaths of 2014 [PHOTOS]

Notable deaths of 2014 [PHOTOS]

Most Popular
1
Viral video shows grouper swallow shark off fisherman's reel in one terrifying gulp
2
Tennessee student kicked out of class for saying 'bless you'
3
Indian boy with hands larger than his head can't even tie shoes
4
Watch as driver leaps from motorcycle mid-crash and lands safely on moving car
5
Wanted Washington man crashes car into police hunting for him
Trending News
Video
x
Feedback