facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search

Dental drill falls into patient's lung

Dec. 28, 2012 at 12:30 PM   |   Comments

http://cdn.ph.upi.com/sv/em/upi/UPI-47501356715858/2012/1/93f5230516f1d17060fc4e009a7df4c2/Dental-drill-falls-into-patients-lung.jpg
VASTERAS, Sweden, Dec. 28 (UPI) -- A Swedish hospital said new precautions are being taken after a dentist's drill unattached during a procedure and ended up in a patient's lung.

Officials at the Vastmanland Central Hospital in Vasteras said the drill became loose and fell into the mouth of a 60-year-old woman, who was undergoing dental implant surgery last September, The Local.se reported Friday.

"She tried to spit it out, and was made to cough, but she'd already swallowed," said Per Weitz, the hospital's medical chief.

Weitz said an X-ray revealed the drill was lodged in the woman's right lung and a bronchoscopy was performed to remove the object.

"A pinky-sized tube was sent into her lung with a small camera and pliers to grab hold of the drill," Weitz said.

Doctors said the woman made a full recovery about a month after the incident.

The incident was reported to the National Board of Health and Welfare and Weitz said new precautions are being adopted to prevent further occurrences.

© 2012 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Most Popular
1
Women catches home run at San Francisco Giants game in her beer
2
Ohio woman allegedly poops in front of Walgreens after being accused of shoplifting
3
American tourists call police after getting charged $56 for 3 ice creams and water
4
Beijing restaurant hires teenage girls to walk crabs down the street in promotional stunt
5
Washington soldier claims Popeyes Louisiana Kitchen worker spiked his drink
Trending News
Video
x
Feedback