facebook
twitter
search
search

Dental drill falls into patient's lung

Dec. 28, 2012 at 12:30 PM

VASTERAS, Sweden, Dec. 28 (UPI) -- A Swedish hospital said new precautions are being taken after a dentist's drill unattached during a procedure and ended up in a patient's lung.

Officials at the Vastmanland Central Hospital in Vasteras said the drill became loose and fell into the mouth of a 60-year-old woman, who was undergoing dental implant surgery last September, The Local.se reported Friday.

"She tried to spit it out, and was made to cough, but she'd already swallowed," said Per Weitz, the hospital's medical chief.

Weitz said an X-ray revealed the drill was lodged in the woman's right lung and a bronchoscopy was performed to remove the object.

"A pinky-sized tube was sent into her lung with a small camera and pliers to grab hold of the drill," Weitz said.

Doctors said the woman made a full recovery about a month after the incident.

The incident was reported to the National Board of Health and Welfare and Weitz said new precautions are being adopted to prevent further occurrences.

Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Top Stories
Lawsuit: Meth found at bottom of In-N-Out Burger beverage
'Very aggressive' turkey terrorizes University of Michigan campus
Fisherman on a paddleboard lands 400-pound grouper
Mystery pooper targeting holes of Norwegian golf course
Texas man's bullet bounced off armadillo and hit him in the head