A spokeswoman ArcLight Hollywood said the machine's malfunction left more than just the unmistakable odor of burnt popcorn in the air. About 2,000 moviegoers were evacuated from the multiplex for 30 minutes around 7 p.m. Wednesday while firefighters investigated, the Los Angeles Times said.
The machine gave off flames briefly before an alert patron took a fire extinguisher to the small blaze.
No injuries were reported.
Beautician charged with giving client fatal silicone butt injection
Handler slams Piers Morgan: 'You're a terrible interviewer'