facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

Gas in soy sauce jug sparks sushi bar fire

Nov. 10, 2012 at 12:03 PM   |   Comments

NEW YORK, Nov. 10 (UPI) -- Chaos erupted at a Manhattan sushi restaurant Friday night when gasoline being carried in a soy sauce container caught fire, authorities said.

Three staff members were injured in the flash fire at ENO, which broke out when a worker carried two 5-gallon soy sauce containers filled with gasoline through the kitchen.

"I was pouring a round of Jack Daniels and the next thing I know the bus boy was on fire," bartender Adele Mackenzie told the New York Post.

A group of customers -- tree-trimmers who were in town from upstate New York to assist in storm recovery -- jumped into action and tackled the bus boy. He and the other two victims were taken to a burn center for treatment.

Fire department officials told the Post the gasoline ignited when it somehow spilled on the kitchen floor. It was not known what the gasoline was to have been used for.

© 2012 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Most Popular
1
Man apologizes for double 'wet Willy' on policeman Man apologizes for double 'wet Willy' on policeman
2
Dog dumped in woods with crossbow bolt in head, millimeters from brain Dog dumped in woods with crossbow bolt in head, millimeters from brain
3
Panty raid: Homeland Security seizes Royals undies Panty raid: Homeland Security seizes Royals undies
4
Too good a mood to work and other strangest sick day excuses Too good a mood to work and other strangest sick day excuses
5
Man pulls 14 cars over 18 feet for world record Man pulls 14 cars over 18 feet for world record
Trending News
Around the Web
x
Feedback