facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

Fire started by squirrel cooker

Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:59 PM   |   Comments

| License Photo
HOLLAND, Mich., Oct. 11 (UPI) -- Authorities in Michigan said an apartment complex fire was started by a resident who was attempting to use a propane torch to prepare a squirrel for eating.

Holland Township Fire Chief Jim Kohsel said a resident was on a third floor deck at Clearview apartments using a propane torch to remove the fur from a dead squirrel the resident intended to eat when the deck caught fire around 12:29 p.m. Wednesday, MLive.com reported Thursday.

Kohsel said the flames destroyed eight apartments and 32 were damaged to the point of being uninhabitable.

The chief said no residents were injured and a firefighter suffered a broken toe while battling the flames.

The American Red Cross is providing temporary shelter and clothing for the displaced residents.

© 2012 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Recommended UPI Stories
Featured UPI Collection
trending
Notable deaths of 2014 [PHOTOS]

Notable deaths of 2014 [PHOTOS]

Most Popular
1
Police: 'Burglar' was cheating wife's secret lover Police: 'Burglar' was cheating wife's secret lover
2
Porn star appears on cover of Thai math textbook Porn star appears on cover of Thai math textbook
3
Cycling team's uniforms appear crotchless Cycling team's uniforms appear crotchless
4
Satanists want to distribute materials in Florida schools Satanists want to distribute materials in Florida schools
5
Surge soda revived by Coca-Cola Surge soda revived by Coca-Cola
Trending News
Video
x
Feedback