Rod and Michelle Ramsey of Johnsville said they both had headaches one day last week and tried to get some sleep but Tiger refused to allow it, the Mansfield (Ohio) News Journal reported Tuesday.
"He was in the house," Michelle said. "He's a very vocal cat and started going crazy. He was begging me to let him outside."
Michelle said while she was up she called the veterinarian about another cat, Babes, and the veterinary assistant became concerned when she mentioned the symptoms she and her husband were experiencing.
"She asked if we had turned on our furnace. It all clicked for her," Michelle said. "She said we had a gas leak. She demanded we get out of the house."
The couple called the Johnsville Fire Department and responders confirmed there was a carbon monoxide leak in the home.
"We actually thought we had food poisoning," Rod said. "We had some spaghetti that was about a week and a half old.
"The paramedics said they didn't know how we were alive, let alone stayed awake," he said.
The Ramseys were airlifted to The Ohio State University Medical Center for treatment.
Tiger has earned a place of honor on their couch.
"All the cats get plenty of attention, but he's been getting a little more," Rod said.
Jordana Brewster on Paul Walker: 'He was an enormous presence in my life'
Couple mistakenly served bag of cash at McDonald's drive-thru