Julie Mraz said she was celebrating her 50th birthday at Luna's Mexican Restaurant in Riverview when she bit into her tamale and felt a hair in her mouth, WTSP-TV, St. Petersburg, Fla., reported Thursday.
"Took a tissue, spit it out, and I don't mean to be graphic but it was not a hair that comes from the head," Mraz said. "I went and got sick in the bathroom."
The general manager of the restaurant said the item was not a human hair, but rather a string from a piece of corn used to make the dish.
Mraz complained to the Department of Business and Professional Regulation, which sent a state inspector Sept. 4. The inspector documented 6 critical violations, including the temperature of a refrigeration unit. The inspector said a repairman working on the unit discovered a group of about 60 roaches.
"We've been working with a company for about a year. We've been treating all that, but other than that, everything is OK," the manager said.
Trader Joe's: Car crashes into Long Island store, injuring 11
Wisconsin business offering 'therapeutic cuddling' forced to close