facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

Man clearing webs with blowtorch sets fire

July 12, 2012 at 5:57 PM   |   Comments

CHICO, Calif., July 12 (UPI) -- A California man accidentally set his home on fire when he was using a blowtorch to clear his yard of cobwebs, his brother-in-law said.

Eiliya Maida was using a propane blowtorch to get rid of spiders in his back yard Saturday when he unknowingly set dry plants on fire, the Chico (Calif.) Enterprise-Record reported.

The flames quickly spread to the attic of Maida's home.

Maida's brother-in-law, George Basbous, said he noticed smoke rings from the top of the house.

"And that's when I went crazy," Basbous said. Basbous called 911 and emergency responders were sent to the house.

Firefighters put out the flames, which did an estimated $25,000 worth of damage to the home.

No injuries were reported.

© 2012 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Most Popular
1
Fisherman: 'Tunicorn' tuna had horn on its head Fisherman: 'Tunicorn' tuna had horn on its head
2
Giant gold nugget hits the market in San Francisco Giant gold nugget hits the market in San Francisco
3
Dog dumped in woods with crossbow bolt in head, millimeters from brain Dog dumped in woods with crossbow bolt in head, millimeters from brain
4
Toddler rescued from claw machine at laundromat Toddler rescued from claw machine at laundromat
5
Ebola-themed Halloween display in Dallas suburb Ebola-themed Halloween display in Dallas suburb
Trending News
Around the Web
x
Feedback