HAMILTON, Scotland, May 25 (UPI) -- Animal authorities in Scotland said a dog's owner was able to trap a venomous scorpion when the canine came across the animal outside of the family home.
The Scottish Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals said the dog, an 8-year-old female Westie named Skye, came across the scorpion in her family's Hamilton yard Wednesday and her owner managed to trap the intruder in a plastic tub and call authorities, The Scotsman reported Friday.
The Glasgow Animal Rescue and Rehoming Center in Cardonald identified the creature as a Florida bark scorpion.
"The man who found this scorpion wasn't fazed at all and was able to contain it without any trouble, which is pretty remarkable as I'd imagine most people would have panicked," animal rescue officer Ashley Griffin said. "Skye definitely deserves a lot of credit for alerting her owner as it's a small scorpion which could easily have come to harm. Florida barks aren't deadly although, if bitten, the pain could vary from that of a bee-sting to intense inflammation and sickness."