ROCKSPRINGS, Texas, May 4 (UPI) -- A Texas man said he plans to install rods on his home after he was struck by lightning while sleeping in his favorite chair.
Cheval Silva of Edwards County said he fell asleep while watching TV with his 5-year-old granddaughter Monday evening and he awoke thinking his house had been shot by a hunter, KSAT-TV, San Antonio, reported Friday.
"Searing pain in my right foot, and when I woke up, I could see the room kind of exploded," he said.
Silva said he scooped up his granddaughter to get her out of harm's way and she quickly pointed out he was on fire.
Silva said emergency responders had a hard time finding his remote ranch, so he and his granddaughter drove out to the highway extension to wait for an ambulance.
The grandfather said he was told a bolt of lightning had entered his body through his shoulder and exited through his foot.
"I'm awful glad my granddaughter is safe and I'm glad I still have my legs, but I'm sure going to miss that chair," said Silva, who suffered some nerve damage.
He said he plans to install lightning rods on his home.