GAINESVILLE, Fla., Aug. 10 (UPI) -- Police in Florida said a woman attempting to use fireworks to wake up her boyfriend ended up losing three fingers.
The Gainesville Police Department said the 36-year-old woman, a resident of Georgetown apartments, had planned to light the fireworks novelty item and throw it out the front door to wake her boyfriend with the resulting noise, but the item exploded while still in her hand, The Gainesville Sun reported Wednesday.
Police said the explosion tore off the woman's thumb, middle and ring fingers. They said a bone remnant was found lodged in the apartment's ceiling.
The woman was taken to Shands at the University of Florida for treatment. The boyfriend told police the couple had been drinking alcohol the previous evening.