CORAL SPRINGS, Fla., Aug. 9 (UPI) -- A parrot that became lodged in the grill of the car that struck it in Florida is recovering at an animal hospital.
Coral Springs firefighters said a woman knocked on the door of Fire Station 43 at about 7:30 a.m. Monday and told firefighters she had hit the bird Sunday and had not realized the Quaker parrot was stuck in the grill of her car until she heard chirping the next morning, WSVN-TV, Miami, reported Tuesday.
"Well, obviously we didn't want to leave it there, so our firefighters were able to unscrew portions of the hood and take some parts out and were able to reach in and grab the bird," Fire Department Capt. Mike Moser said. "It seemed kind of lethargic and not as energetic."
The parrot was taken to the Coral Springs Pet Resort and Medical Center, where veterinarians said he is expected to fully recover.
"We did a physical exam. There was a skin wound near the thigh area, and the bird did not appear to have any broken bones. We took an X-ray just to make sure, and the X-ray looks good," veterinarian Penny Kupferberg said.