facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

Man sets house ablaze while cremating dog

July 17, 2011 at 9:52 PM   |   Comments

DALE CITY, Va., July 17 (UPI) -- A Dale City, Va., man accidentally set his house on fire while trying to dispose of the remains of his dead pet dog, officials say.

The owner of the large Rottweiler started the fire Wednesday morning by putting pieces of wood next to its body and boosting the flames with gasoline, the News & Messenger in Manassas, Va, reported.

Firefighters were called to the two-story, single-family home at 9:10 a.m., where they found smoke coming out the front of the house and flames from the outside to the attic in the back.

Prince William fire and rescue Battalion Chief Joe Robertson explained that the gasoline had pooled near the house, extending the flames to the home.

The blaze caused $70,000 worth of damage to the home.

Robertson said it was unclear why the owner, whose name wasn't reported, was disposing of the dog by cremating it or how the dog died.

The matter was being investigated and no charges had been filed.

© 2011 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Recommended UPI Stories
Featured UPI Collection
trending
Notable deaths of 2014 [PHOTOS]

Notable deaths of 2014 [PHOTOS]

Most Popular
1
All female town in Brazil wants more single men
2
Mother's Facebook post gets her 4-year-old son kicked out of school
3
Redhead uses fake 'Ginger Discount Card' to save real money
4
Human skull discovered in donation bin at Austin Goodwill
5
Watch Russian couple save prairie dog too fat for its hole
Trending News
Video
x
Feedback