facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

Aussie couple infected with toothed worms

July 7, 2011 at 4:30 AM   |   Comments

PRAHRAN, Australia, July 7 (UPI) -- An Australian doctor said a couple in Victoria are believed to be the first in the country to become infected with a species of parasitic worms with teeth.

Dr. Andrew Fuller of the Alfred hospital in Prahran said the couple are believed to have ingested the gnathostomiasis larvae when they caught and ate a fish, likely a black bream, during a Western Australia camping trip, The (Melbourne) Herald Sun reported Wednesday.

Fuller said the tiny worms have teeth allowing them to "go anywhere they like in the body."

"They move under the skin and cause itchy lumps that can make you feel sick -- and it can be very hard to diagnose," the doctor said.

He said symptoms of infection include fever, muscle pain, vomiting and skin irritations resembling an orange peel.

Fuller said the couple recovered after receiving a course of antibiotics. He said he has treated the condition before, but the couple are believed to have been the first to contract the worms in Australia.

© 2011 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Recommended UPI Stories
Featured UPI Collection
trending
Celebrity Couples of 2014 [PHOTOS]

Celebrity Couples of 2014 [PHOTOS]

Most Popular
1
Teen admits rubbing scrotum on customer's pizza Teen admits rubbing scrotum on customer's pizza
2
Brain tumor removed from Australian goldfish Brain tumor removed from Australian goldfish
3
Homeless man gets women to take him home Homeless man gets women to take him home
4
Welsh mom complains of swearing Barbie doll Welsh mom complains of swearing Barbie doll
5
Beer festival features brew made with weasel poop Beer festival features brew made with weasel poop
Trending News
Video
x
Feedback