Dr. Brian Huang of Providence said he completed an eight-year study at Rhode Island Hospital involving 33 patients who swallowed a total 305 objects, including batteries, spoons, coins and toothbrushes, The (Providence) Journal reported Monday.
Huang, who published his findings in the latest issue of the journal Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology said 79 percent of the incidents involved patients with psychiatric disorders.
The doctor said only 10 of the cases required surgery, while the others involved the foreign objects being removed with forceps. He said none of the patients died of their injuries.
Ron Burgundy interviews Peyton Manning on SportsCenter
Man spent 15 hours in jail for plugging electric car into an outlet at a school