CHICAGO, Oct. 8 (UPI) -- An elderly Chicago couple said they were terrified when police knocked open their door late at night on a mistaken drug raid.
Anna Jakymec, 84, said she initially thought her husband, Andrij, 89, had fallen out of bed when she heard a loud crashing at 11:30 p.m. Thursday but she soon discovered about 20 police officers were in the front room with her door "knocked open," the Chicago Tribune reported Friday.
Jakymec said the members of the Cook County sheriff's police gang crimes narcotics unit showed her a search warrant stating they were seeking crystal meth, cocaine, guns and money suspected to be at the residence. She said the warrant also named a 23-year-old suspect she and her husband did not know.
"They show me a sheet with a woman and man who complained we have that. We don't," Anna Jakymec said. "They broke two doors and a garage window. Then they say, 'C'mon, c'mon -- go, go, go, stay by your husband. He said someone complained we had all these drugs."
Andrew Jakymec, the couple's son, said he arrived at the scene after his mother called and was informed by officers that the raid had been a mistake.
"When I arrived the officer explained they had misinformation, but said his job was over, and he was leaving. They left a copy of the warrant, but he absolved himself of any responsibility for the raid or the damage," Andrew Jakymec said.
He said up to $3,000 worth of damage was done to the home during the raid.
A sheriff's police spokeswoman said the incident is being investigated.