Man injured in spider chase explosion

Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:37 PM

CLACTON, England, Aug. 31 (UPI) -- British emergency responders said a man suffered severe burns when an aerosol can he was attempting to use against a spider ignited and exploded.

An Essex Fire Service spokesman said the 28-year-old Clacton, England, man, whose name was not released, was attempting to use the aerosol spray on the spider in his bathroom Monday and the gas fumes ignited when he used a cigarette lighter to illuminate the room, The Daily Telegraph reported Tuesday.

The spokesman said the man suffered flash burns to his head, legs and torso and jumped in the shower with the cold water running while his wife called for help.

The man was treated at Colchester General Hospital and discharged early Tuesday morning.

Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram for more news from UPI.com
Related UPI Stories
share with facebook
share with twitter
Trending Stories