NAPLES, Fla., April 13 (UPI) -- Florida authorities said a man who mixed household chemicals at his ex-girlfriend's apartment to make chlorine gas sparked the evacuation of the building.
Police said the ex-girlfriend, who was not named, called police Sunday and reported Jamaal Anthony Young, 21, had created a mixture of bleach, ammonia, cough syrup, degreaser and other unknown substances in her Naples residence Saturday before taking it back to his upstairs apartment, the Naples Daily News reported Tuesday.
The woman said she called 911 after smelling a chemical odor coming from a vent leading to Young's apartment.
The Lee County Sheriff's Office said two deputies arrived and "immediately ingested the chemicals, causing them to become dizzy and interrupted their normal breathing." Deputies said Young had placed the mixture in the apartment's bathtubs, sinks and a glass container he heated in the microwave.
The apartment was evacuated and investigators determined the mixture had created chlorine gas.
The deputies were decontaminated and Young was arrested and charged with a felony count of possession of a hoax weapon of mass destruction.