Barry Penner and his wife Daris were having a candlelit dinner in Vancouver Saturday when their 5-year-old cat named Ranger brushed against a flame, the Vancouver Sun reported.
"Suddenly there was a poof of smoke," Penner said.
Penner and his wife bolted to the cat, but the flames had gone out.
The cat didn't suffer any serious injuries, but Penner said the fright had an effect on Ranger.
"His hair is a little bit singed and his pride is somewhat affected," he said.
Rather than use an electric fan to clear the smell of burned fur, the couple said they opened windows until the hourlong Earth Hour observance ended.
Boston schools pull out free condoms over wrapping complaints
NBC reportedly holds celebs hostage to Jimmy Fallon's show