SAN DIEGO, Jan. 17 (UPI) -- A California middle school was put on lock-down while authorities responded to a call about the safety of a student's science project, officials said.
Students at Millennial Tech Magnet Middle School in San Diego were evacuated after the 11-year-old student brought his project to school Friday, and parents were contacted and told they could pick up their children to take them home, the San Diego Union-Tribune reported.
The project, which the student made in his family's garage, was a motion-detector device, made of a Gatorade bottle, wires, and electrical components. There was no substance in the bottle, San Diego Fire-Rescue Department spokesman Maurice Luque said.
A Metro Arson Strike Team robot took pictures of the project and X-rays were evaluated, all of which showed the device to be harmless, Luque said.
Fire officials also checked out the student's home and garage for explosive or otherwise harmful items.
"There was nothing hazardous at the house," Luque said.
"There will be no (criminal) charges whatsoever," Luque said, adding that though the student violated school policies, there was no criminal intent.
"(The student) was very shaken by the whole situation, as were his parents," said Luque.