Stuart Keen's mother, Edna, told The Sunday Telegraph her son had been cutting wood for a cabinet when the saw inflicted the horrific injury. Surgeons were able to reattach the severed appendage, she said.
"Stuart is a carpenter and uses sharp and sometimes dangerous tools," Keen's mother said.
"This was an unfortunate accident but these things happen all the time to people in his profession."
A South Central Ambulance Service spokesman said paramedics found him bleeding in his bathtub.
"I have spoken to him and he is quite embarrassed about the whole incident," Keen's mother told the Telegraph.