ISLIP, N.Y., July 8 (UPI) -- Police in Ocean Beach, N.Y., said eight people were hospitalized after ingesting what they believed to be marijuana-laced brownies.
A man at the home in Fire Island phoned authorities Friday night to seek assistance for respiratory problems and seven others in the house complained of similar symptoms when medical responders arrived at the scene, Newsday reported Tuesday.
Ocean Beach Deputy Chief of Police George Hess said the eight people, who told responders they had eaten brownies laced with marijuana, were transported by helicopter and boat to Brookhaven Memorial Hospital in East Patchogue and Southside Hospital in Bay Shore. He said all of the victims were treated for non-life-threatening conditions and released.
One of the four co-owners of the house said the victims had rented the residence for a vacation and no owners were present at the time of the incident.
Police did not release the names of the victims and did not specify whether they were tested for marijuana ingestion.