facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

Man sets fire to home while thawing pipe

Jan. 22, 2008 at 9:47 PM   |   Comments

LIMA, Ohio, Jan. 22 (UPI) -- Firefighters in Shawnee Township, Ohio, said a man accidentally lit his house on fire while attempting to thaw a frozen waterline with a propane torch.

Shawnee Township Fire Chief Tim Mosher said authorities arrived Monday morning at the home of John Miller Sr. to find the house full of smoke, The Lima (Ohio) News reported Tuesday.

"He was trying to thaw out a frozen waterline in a crawl space," Mosher said. "The occupant got out but there was a lot of smoke in there when we arrived."

Miller said firefighters went into the home and rescued his Boston terrier, Milo, who he said was shaken up but otherwise in good health after the incident.

The homeowner said it wasn't the first time he had used a propane torch to thaw a frozen pipe, but this was his first fire.

"I didn't have it on there two minutes that the side wall took off," Miller said. "I've done it a hundred times and never had a problem."

Mosher said damage to the home would cost at least a couple thousand dollars to repair.

Topics: John Miller
© 2008 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Recommended UPI Stories
Featured UPI Collection
trending
2014: The Year in Music [PHOTOS]

2014: The Year in Music [PHOTOS]

Most Popular
1
Brain tumor removed from Australian goldfish Brain tumor removed from Australian goldfish
2
Homeless man gets women to take him home Homeless man gets women to take him home
3
Welsh mom complains of swearing Barbie doll Welsh mom complains of swearing Barbie doll
4
Satanists want to distribute materials in Florida schools Satanists want to distribute materials in Florida schools
5
Teen admits rubbing scrotum on customer's pizza Teen admits rubbing scrotum on customer's pizza
Trending News
Video
x
Feedback