GAVLE, Sweden, Feb. 18 (UPI) -- A herd of goats has been blamed for starting a major fire Sunday near the Swedish city of Gavle, where a straw goat is burned each year for Christmas.
A police spokesman from Norrbotten County said the goats likely chewed on an electrical cable until Sunday's fire started in the town of Kalix, The Local said.
"The fire is thought to have been caused by some of the goats gnawing through an electricity cable," he said, jokingly adding that police decided not to arrest a particularly guilty-looking goat.
The early morning fire injured no one as the nearly 25 horned animals kept in the locale conveniently escaped the dangers of the fire.
The burning of the straw Gavle goat has been an illegal but almost regular incident in the Swedish city for more than 40 years. The newspaper said perhaps the disgruntled animals finally gave the city its comeuppance.