facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

Scottish hiker bitten by adders

Aug. 19, 2006 at 2:50 PM   |   Comments

EDINBURGH, Scotland, Aug. 19 (UPI) -- A Scottish hiker who almost died of snakebite after picking up two adders says he did not realize there are venomous snakes in Scotland.

Robert McGuire suffered an allergic reaction to the bites and collapsed almost immediately, The Scotsman reported. He was hospitalized for six days.

McGuire of Saltcoats in Ayrshire was walking with his brother and his brother's children on the island of Arran when one of the children spotted a snake. McGuire, thinking it was a harmless grass snake, picked it up so his brother could get a picture with his cell phone.

Seeing a larger snake, McGuire picked that one up as well. He was holding both snakes when they struck.

McGuire passed out as emergency workers began treating him, waking up in a hospital.

"I woke up in hospital, and I kept biting my tongue because it was that big. My lips looked like Mick Jagger's, they were so swollen," he said. "I felt dead weak and all bloated. I was like Hulk Hogan, my arms were really blown up."

Topics: Hulk Hogan
© 2006 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Most Popular
1
Bear cub takes a stroll through Oregon drug store Bear cub takes a stroll through Oregon drug store
2
Lovelorn Chinese woman lived at KFC for a week Lovelorn Chinese woman lived at KFC for a week
3
Town cancels trick-or-treating due to polar bears Town cancels trick-or-treating due to polar bears
4
44,000 pounds of beer stolen from Miller High Life big rig in Florida 44,000 pounds of beer stolen from Miller High Life big rig in Florida
5
Ebola plush toys are big sellers Ebola plush toys are big sellers
Trending News
Around the Web
x
Feedback