Spin magazine will name U2, System of a Down and Missy Elliott as the year's best in its January "Year in Music" issue, on newsstands Dec. 11.
The Irish rockers spent the year on the road on their sold-out "Elevation" tour in support of their 10th album, "All That You Can't Leave Behind." They're the publication's 2001 Band of the Year. The 2001 Album of the Year is System of a Down's "Toxicity," and Elliott's "Get Ur Freak On" is the 2001 Single of the Year.
The Spin magazine Year in Music 2001 Awards:
Band of the Year -- U2
Album of the Year -- "Toxicity," System of a Down
Single of the Year -- "Get Ur Freak On," Missy Elliott
Best Live Act -- Radiohead
Best New Band -- Gorillaz
Best Rapper -- Jay-Z
Best DJs -- Basement Jaxx
Best Sidekick -- Gwen Stefani
Trend of the Year -- Nu Metal's assault of primal discontent
Comeback of the Year -- Weezer
The Top 10 Albums of 2001:
1. System of a Down, Toxicity (American Recordings)
2. Radiohead, Amnesiac (Capitol)
3. Basement Jaxx, Rooty (XL Recordings/Astralwerks)
4. Bob Dylan, Love and Theft (Columbia)
5. Björk, Vespertine (Elektra)
6. Gorillaz, Gorillaz (Virgin)
7. Jay-Z, Blueprint (Roc-a-Fella)
8. Daft Punk, Discovery (Virgin)
9. Weezer, Weezer (Geffen)
10. Tori Amos, Strange Little Girls (Atlantic)
The Top 10 Singles of 2001:
1. Missy Elliott, "Get Ur Freak On" (Elektra)
2. Madonna, "Don't Tell Me" (Maverick)
3. Daft Punk, "Digital Love" (Virgin)
4. Nelly, "Ride Wit Me" (Universal)
5. Destiny's Child, "Independent Woman" (Columbia)
6. Staind, "Outside" (Flip/Elektra)
7. Gorillaz, "19-2000" (Virgin)
8. Aaliyah, "We Need A Resolution" (Blackground/Virgin)
9. M.O.P, "Ante Up (Robbing-Hoodz Theory)" (Loud)
10. Basement Jaxx, "Romeo" (XL Recordings/Astralwerks)
Singer Tom Jones likely has had more underwear thrown at him than any other pop artist and for decades has been an internationally recognized mega-star. Despite that, he remains a "regular guy," according to gossip columnist Liz Smith, who reports the 61-year-old Welsh-born Jones recently gathered with a group of fellow passengers on a long Virgin Airlines flight from London to Los Angeles. He stood at the bar in first class, generously giving of his time, signing autographs and posing for photographs. He wore a dark shirt and blue jeans and even handled his own bags at LAX and left with no entourage.
By the way, Jones will be at the MGM Grand Hotel in Las Vegas on Jan. 1 and will alternate between that city and Atlantic City during 2002.
(Thanks to UPI feature Reporter Dennis Daily)
'THE JACKSONS: AN AMERICAN DREAM'
In 1992, the four-hour ABC miniseries "The Jacksons: An American Dream" chronicled the rags-to-riches tale of the Gary, Ind., natives who became the most successful musical family in history.
The two-disc package features completely remastered visuals and audio. Highlights among the performances in the production are of The Jackson 5 hits "Never Can Say Goodbye," "ABC" and "I'll Be There" as well as Michael's "Motown Records 25th Anniversary Show" solo performance of "Billie Jean."
The miniseries was nominated for four Emmys, including Outstanding Miniseries, and won for Outstanding Individual Achievement in Choreography.
Notable deaths of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Man texted his probation officer to seek 'weed'