Caffeine powder overdose killed Ohio teen, coroner rules

Logan Stiner, 18, died after ingesting caffeine powder last May.
By Kate Stanton Follow @KateStan Contact the Author   |   July 1, 2014 at 10:19 PM

LAGRANGE, Ohio, July 1 (UPI) -- An Ohio prom king died last May from an overdose of caffeine powder, a legal substance used to increase energy and improve focus.

The Lorain County Coroner Stephen Evans said Monday that Logan Stiner, 18, ingested too much caffeine powder, which led to the irregular heartbeat and seizures that killed him.

"One sixteenth of a teaspoon has as much caffeine as one Nodoz tablet," Evans said.

One teaspoon of the powder can contain as much as 1,600 milligrams of caffeine. One cup of coffee contains 95 milligrams.

Stiner died days before his graduation from Keystone High School. He planned to study chemical engineering at the University of Toledo.

Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Trending Stories
Pepsi to launch own smartphone
History Channel special reveals Alcatraz escapees may have survived
Multiple attacks escalate Jerusalem violence; gun restrictions could ease
Genetic changes could make pig organs usable for human transplant
Five Democratic presidential candidates meet in Las Vegas for first debate