facebook
twitter
rss
account
search
search
 

Caffeine powder overdose killed Ohio teen, coroner rules

Logan Stiner, 18, died after ingesting caffeine powder last May.
By Kate Stanton   |   July 1, 2014 at 10:19 PM   |   Comments

LAGRANGE, Ohio, July 1 (UPI) -- An Ohio prom king died last May from an overdose of caffeine powder, a legal substance used to increase energy and improve focus.

The Lorain County Coroner Stephen Evans said Monday that Logan Stiner, 18, ingested too much caffeine powder, which led to the irregular heartbeat and seizures that killed him.

"One sixteenth of a teaspoon has as much caffeine as one Nodoz tablet," Evans said.

One teaspoon of the powder can contain as much as 1,600 milligrams of caffeine. One cup of coffee contains 95 milligrams.

Stiner died days before his graduation from Keystone High School. He planned to study chemical engineering at the University of Toledo.

Follow @KateStan and @UPI on Twitter.
Contact the Author
© 2014 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Most Popular
1
Study: Drug cocktail for advanced breast cancer can extend life up to 16 months Study: Drug cocktail for advanced breast cancer can extend life up to 16 months
2
Vast majority of oncologists admit to burnout Vast majority of oncologists admit to burnout
3
France considers plain cigarette packaging France considers plain cigarette packaging
4
Morning exercise helps calm ADHD symptoms in children Morning exercise helps calm ADHD symptoms in children
5
CDC: Diabetes rates leveling off CDC: Diabetes rates leveling off
Trending News
x
Feedback