UPI en Español  |   UPI Asia  |   About UPI  |   My Account
Search:
Go

Those with diabetes at greater risk of breast, prostate cancer

  |
 
Published: Sept. 29, 2013 at 10:58 PM

ROTTERDAM, Netherlands, Sept. 29 (UPI) -- Diabetics not only have a greater risk of cancer, those who get breast or colon cancer have a higher risk of dying from the diseases, Dutch researchers say.

Dr. Kirstin De Bruijn, a doctoral student in the surgery department at the Erasmus University Medical Center in Rotterdam, the Netherlands, and colleagues conducted a meta-analysis of 20 trials that had taken place between 2007-12, involving more than 1.9 million patients with breast or colon cancer, with or without diabetes.

The researchers found patients with diabetes had a 23 percent increased risk of developing breast cancer and a 38 percent increased risk of dying from the disease compared with non-diabetic patients.

Diabetics had a 26 percent increased risk of developing colon cancer and a 30 percent increased risk of dying from it compared with non-diabetic patients, the study said.

"The results for breast and colon cancer incidence in patients with diabetes are consistent with other meta-analyses," De Bruijn said in a statement.

Furthermore, this meta-analysis showed a higher risk and a stronger association between diabetes and death from breast and colon cancer than previously reported, De Bruijn said.

"Cancer patients who are obese and diabetic are an already more vulnerable group of individuals when it comes to surgery, as they have an increased risk of developing complications both during and after surgery," De Bruijn said.

"Studies have already highlighted the increased risk of developing cancer for diabetics. Our meta-analysis, provides stronger evidence for the association between diabetes and the risk of developing and dying from these cancers."

© 2013 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints
Next Story: New breast cancer screening technique may reduce biopsies
Join the conversation
Most Popular Collections
New York Fashion Week 2013 U.S. Open 2013 50th anniversary of the March on Washington
Celebrity families of 2013 MTV VMAs 2013 Style Awards
Additional Health News Stories
Video
1 of 18
Obama visits Sandwich Shot in Washington, D.C.
View Caption
President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden order take-out lunch at Taylor Gourmet on Pennsylvania Avenue, in Washington, D.C. on October 4, 2013. The reason he gave was they are starving and the establishment is giving a 10 percent discount to furloughed government workers as an indication of how ordinary Americans are looking out for one another. UPI/Pete Marovich/Pool
fark
Everybody was typhoon flighting
Photoshop this relaxing redhead
Fw: Fw: Fw: Fw: Spiteful Obama blocks off view of Mt. Rushmore
Why do Americans have such large refrigerators?
Home Alone 2: Las Vegas. Nine-year-old boy hops a plane from the Twin Cities to Sin City without...
Sex toy company offering free vibrators to furloughed government employees, which is probably the...