Grilling: An open source of flame

Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:44 PM

DALLAS, Jan. 30 (UPI) -- Grilling can provide some tasty dishes for a Super Bowl party, but it also can cause unexpected burns, scalding and fires, a U.S. physician says.

"When you're smelling the barbecue, it's easy to forget that grills -- both gas and charcoal -- are still an open source of flame and a potential danger," Dr. Brett Arnoldo, a burn surgeon at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas, said in a statement.

Arnoldo and his colleagues say:

-- Don't pour water directly on coals. Beware of steam that can rise up unexpectedly and scald.

-- Use baking powder to help contain grease fires. Always have an extinguisher nearby in case flames get out of control or something catches fire.

-- Keep charcoal fluid out of the reach of children and pets and away from any source of heat, including grills, fire pits and chimneys.

-- Never leave a lit grill unattended. Children and pets should remain at least 3 feet from a grill to help avoid burns or accidentally knocking over the grill.

-- Don't lean directly over the grill. Be aware of clothing such as scarves, shirt tails or apron strings that can catch fire when bending over. Consider flame-retardant oven mitts and long utensils to avoid burns.

-- Never try to move a hot grill. Wait for coals to cool off before disposing.

Burning charcoal produces carbon monoxide, a colorless and odorless gas so never burn charcoal indoors or in tents, RVs, campers or other enclosed spaces, Arnoldo said.

Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Trending Stories
Russia says missiles aimed at Syria did not land in Iran
Tunisian democracy advocates win Nobel Peace Prize
Captive orca breeding banned at California's SeaWorld
House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy drops bid for speaker
WikiLeaks offering $50K for video of Afghan hospital bombing