Allergens never take a holiday

Dec. 24, 2012 at 1:47 AM   |   Comments

CHICAGO, Dec. 24 (UPI) -- During the winter, many parents say their children get a reprieve from allergies, but allergens are around all year long, a U.S. pediatric allergist says.

"Dust mites, mold, food and pet allergies don't take a Christmas vacation," Dr. Joyce Rabbat of Loyola University Health System near Chicago, said in a statement. "Parents need to understand that no matter how hard someone tries to keep the festivities allergen-free there is always a possibility of exposure so come prepared with medications."

She suggests adults seek medical attention if they notice a child has any of these symptoms:

-- Shortness of breath.

-- Wheezing.

-- Swelling.

-- Throat swelling/closing.

-- Coughing.

-- Dizziness.

-- Change of color, pale or blue.

-- Vomiting or diarrhea.

Live Christmas trees, holiday plants, dust and mold from old decorations and even pets can cause an allergic reaction. But one of the often-overlooked triggers are scented candles and air fresheners.

"Stay away from artificial scents in air fresheners and candles as these can irritate the lungs and trigger asthma symptoms," Rabbet said. "They might smell nice, but don't smell nearly as good as cookies baking in the oven. So enjoy the real scents of the holidays instead."

© 2012 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.
Recommended UPI Stories
Featured UPI Collection
Notable deaths of 2014 [PHOTOS]

Notable deaths of 2014 [PHOTOS]

Most Popular
New research explains insomnia prevalence among elderly
New data shows Melbourne is most well-rested city in the world
New research details rare cancer that killed Bob Marley
Daughters more likely than sons to care for elder parents
Police search for California man with drug-resistant TB
Trending News