Serratia Marcescens bacteria is rare and not harmful to healthy people but poses a danger to premature babies, and both of the infants who died were born before 28 weeks at the University Hospital of North Staffordshire's neonatal intensive care unit, The Daily Telegraph reported.
The outbreak, which began in July, made four other premature babies ill, but they have recovered and been allowed to go home, it was revealed for the first time at a hospital meeting Wednesday, The Telegraph said.
Tests confirmed the link between the disease -- found in the bowel of children -- and the hospital. The finding prompted hospital management request Britain's Health Protection Agency to review infection control practices.
After the findings of the Health Protection Agency, the whole baby unit at the top floor of the maternity center was deep-cleaned, hospital officials said.
Five other infants in the neonatal intensive care unit were carriers of the bacteria, but they did not become ill, hospital officials said.
Couple calls 9-1-1 over missing hash browns; assault McDonanld's employees
Britney Spears debuts 'Perfume' video